Hello beautiful people from the internet!
So today I am writing about how to travel when you are a vegetarian or a vegan! I am neither of those myself, although I eat a lot of vegan food and I have reduced meat a lot in my diet. A lot of people think that if you have strict diet requirements, you can’t travel or you have it super hard. Reality is, if you know what to do, it is really not that hard. Obviously it also depends on the destinations you travel too, but I can assure you that 90% of the times, you will be able to eat as you please.
- Be prepared and inform yourself. Some countries have different understanding on what a vegetarian or vegan is. In some asian counties, being vegetarian means you can eat chicken and fish, so make sure you know which city you are visiting, and its food costumes.
- Prepare it yourself. Most hostels and guest houses have kitchens, so if you are unsure that the destination you are visiting has enough vegan/vegetarian options COOK IT YOURSELF! (Obviously make sure that your hostel actually has a kitchen though…) You just have to make sure that you know where the grocery stores are and tadaaaa you can be a Masterchef. 🙂
- Choose the dishes wisely. I know in most restaurants you can customize your food aka “Oh sorry could I get this salad but without tomatoes?” BUT while choosing your food, make sure that you don’t come out as TOO PICKY. If you want to order a salad for example, do not go for the cheese and chicken salad and then start to ask the waiter to take the cheese, the chicken, the mayo… Get dishes that you can customize easily without getting the impression that you are basically a picky eater.
- Plan. As a vegetarian or vegan, the chances are that you can’t eat wherever you want. Most restaurants, depending on the destination will probably not have vegan option or things that you can actually eat so make sure that you google some places before traveling so you kinda know where you can eat.
- Airplane food. Most food sold in airplanes are not vegetarian or vegan so pack your own food before traveling, and you can eat it after. Most airports let you board certain foods so make sure you are informed and know which ones you can actually bring with you!
So here are my tips on how to travel if you are vegetarian or vegan!